Thursday, April 11, 2013

Day 2

Today we decided on names for the boys.  Baby A is Dylan Carter and Baby B is Braden Tyler.  

When we woke up this morning Dylan had a new IV in his head.   The nurses were worried that we would be freaked out by and were surprised I was not concerned one bit.  Austin had get several IVs in his head when he was young and I always preferred them in his head. Unfortunately his previous IV infiltrated his arm causing the entire arm to swell. They had to inject it with medication in multiple spots to help his body absorb the fluids.  His arm looks normal again.   They placed a PCVC line, which is a special longer lasting IV, in threw his leg later this afternoon.  They are weening him down on his NIPPV.  Which is basically the amount of air they are blowing into his lungs to help keep his lungs open.  

We found out that Braden had a couple of episodes of apnea during the night.   It was easily resolved with light stimulation.   He is getting weened of his nasal cannula, which helps regulate his airflow.   He also had a PCVC placed in his arm.   When they tested his bilirubin tonight it was a little high so he gets to be under the lights for now.   He looks so cute with his little mask on.

We were excited when the told us we could hold the boys today.  They really encourage skin to skin contact with preemie babies.   I was excited to be able to hold Braden for the first time and Jacob got to hold Dylan.  It was so nice to hold them for about an hour.   It made me realize just how little they really are.   They also encourage hands help.  We get to change their tiny diapers and help wipe their faces down.  They both have these soft, squeaky cries.   It's so hard to just sit a watch them when they cry when your natural instinct is to pick them.   I really look forward to that day were we can hold them whenever we want.
 Dylan and Jacob

 Braden

 Braden under the lights

Dylan 

4 comments:

Ben, Rebecca, Natali, Isaac, Spencer said...

Oh they are just so TINY! It puts it into perspective seeing Jake holding one of them. I totally would have freaked out seeing the IV in his head...but whatever works I guess so it doesn't go bad. I am so glad you are putting things here on the blog. Thinking of you guys!

Christie said...

Looks like they are thriving in this tough new life they are facing. Hope you & Jacob are holding up ok. When you get a minute & you don't mind sharing, I'd love to hear about the delivery & if you were having issues that led to their early arrival. Thanks. Still keeping you guys in our prayers.

Mandy said...

They are adorable Kelly! I'm seriously so happy that they are doing so well. Wish I were closer... Thinking of you guys!!

Chrissy Jo said...

Thank you for sharing, Kelly. They are precious and oh so tiny! I'm so glad you got to hold the boys. They seriously are adorable, as all of your boys have been (and still are)! I am thinking of you guys, hope you are recovering from delivery well and holding up okay. I just wish I was closer so I could help out with the older kids. You and your sweet family are in my thoughts and prayers.