Thursday, August 18, 2011

August 1999

Twelve years ago today I entered the MTC. I remember being so excited because I was going to see my little brother who had been there for the past 4 weeks. He'd really become more of a close friend the couple years before than just a brother so I was especially looking forward to seeing him. I remember seeing him peaking through the glass of a window during one of our first meetings waving frantically at me. I was so excited when I spotted him. When we ran into each other later in the store and gave each other a great big hug there were several gasps from other missionaries. (Elder and Sister missionaries do not hug each other.) We had to explain that we were brother and sister. It was pretty funny. For one week we had our classes in the same building just around the corner from each other. That same day we were introduced to our MTC district. (The group we pretty much spend all of our time with while in the MTC.) Within my group, 3 of us were going to Florianopolis, Brazil. Elder Bauer, me, and Elder Pluid. Naturally we become close because we were all going to the best mission in the world. (I know every one says that. But I'm pretty sure every one feels that way.)

When it came time for us to head the the CTM in Sao Paulo they assigned Elder Pluid and Elder Bauer to my companions for the day. Not many people can say they married one of their missionary companions.








7 comments:

Barrett Family said...

LOVE the pictures!!! I didn't realize you were "companions." That is so cool! I would guess you're about the only people who can say they married their mission companion! Thanks so much for the invite. I miss you! I'm so excited to follow the Pluid adventures! Love the family pic on the header, by the way!

Jill said...

I love this Kelly, makes me so happy, and I hadn't heard the stories so that is extra good. Thanks for sharing. Love to you.

Nick and Melanie Munns said...

Great pictures! I love that you shocked all of the missionaries with a big hug from your brother, thats great. Love your story!

Mandy said...

So cute! And I am glad you got to marry your mission companion, but am so glad Travis didn't marry any of his :)

Ashley said...

Best story ever - with pics - I love it. You and Elder Pluid look so cute! Happy 12 Year annivesary (well belated now but still.. )

sarita said...

I loved this story, too! And thanks so much for the b-day call--it was so great to hear your voice, even on a message!

Miss you!

Matt and Erin said...

Love this story. Love the pictures. Miss you, Kelly. Matt and I were talking the other day that maybe in a year we'll make a trip to the east coast and see your fam and the Payne's,